Hernia Specialist in Hyderabad
Dr Venu Gopal Pareek is one of the Best Hernia Specialist in Hyderabad with over 19 years of experience and performed no of successful Hernia Surgeries.
What is a Hernia?
A hernia is a bulging of an organ or a tissue through an abnormal opening, it generally involves the stomach or intestine. The intestine protrudes from the weak spots of the abdominal tissues. Many hernias appear between the chest and hips but some hernias can appear in the upper thigh and groin regions. In simple terms, a hernia is a tear in the muscles which allows the insides to bulge.
What are the Different Types of Hernia:
Inguinal hernia: Inguinal hernia is more frequent in men than in women and happens at the top of the inner thigh. In men, it is related to the spermatic cord and blood vessels of the testes and in women, it is related to the womb.
Femoral hernias: It happens more often in older women and is found in the groin and upper thigh regions.
Umbilical hernia: An Umbilical hernia happens near the navel region.
Hiatal hernia: In this hernia, part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm of the chest.
Spigelian hernia: This happens at the side of the abdomen below the navel.
Incisional hernia: In an incisional hernia, the intestine protrudes from an incision or a pelvic operation.
Epigastric hernia: This occurs between the sternum and the navel.
Diaphragmatic hernia: In a diaphragmatic hernia, organs move in the chest through an opening in the diaphragm.
What are the Causes of Hernia:
A hernia is caused by the combination of pressure and weakness in the muscles, sometimes muscle weakness is by birth but it can occur at later times also. Anything that causes an increase in pressure can cause a hernia, for example, lifting heavy weights, coughing, sneezing and constipation can cause a hernia. Smoking, poor nutrition, and obesity can weaken muscles and can cause a hernia.
What are the Symptoms of Hernia:
- Swelling or bulge in the groin area
- Pain while lifting weights
- Increase in bulge size overtime
- A dull aching sensation
- Obstruction to bowel movement
- Increase in pain at the site of the bulge
Diagnosis of Hernia:
Generally, the hernia is physically examined by seeing a bulge, at times soft tissues are CT scanned. During a typical male’s physical examination, the doctor feels the area around the groin and asks the patient to cough. Neglected hernias can get larger and become painful. A general surgeon is referred in cases of hernia.
Treatment of Hernia:
A hernia does not better on its own, sometimes surgery can be the only way. A surgeon recommends the means to be chosen for the repair of a hernia. In children, umbilical hernia usually gets repaired on its own by the age of 4 or 5 years.
Hernia can be treated in one of the Three Methods
- Open surgery: A cut is made in the region of the hernia and the protruding tissue is sent back to its place, then is incision is stitched sometimes a mesh for extra support is provided at the weak spot.
- Laparoscopic surgery: it also involves surgery but instead of cuts on the groin and abdominal regions tiny incisions are made and the surgery is carried out.
- Robotic hernia repair: the surgeon uses the console in the operating room and controls the robotic tools, the robotic tools do the repairing job, this type of repair is done for smaller hernia repairs.
What happens if the Hernia is left untreated?
The stuck tissues may die as the blood supply gets cut off and it calls for emergency surgery. Part of the intestine gets struck and may lead to vomiting, stomach ache, nausea, and painful lumps in the groin region.
How to prevent a Hernia?
- By maintaining proper body weight.
- Following a good nutritional diet.
- Not lifting beyond capacity and doing proper form while weight lifting.
- Treatment of persistent cough and sneezing.
- Prevent smoking, as smoking may trigger hernia.
Suffering from a Hernia? Meet Dr. Venu Gopal Today, Leading Hernia Specialist in Hyderabad
Dr. Venu Gopal Pareek is one of the leading hernia specialist in Hyderabad. He has over 19 years of experience in treating different types of hernias and performed no of successful hernia surgeries. Dr. Venu Gopal Pareek uses modern tools and equipment to make the treatment less invasive. To know more, call us today.